Custom orthotics generally have a breaking-in period, and it is not unusual to experience leg pain, knee pain, and even back pain. They will make a big difference on your body but it takes time.
- On the first day of orthotics, wear them for 1 hour. Then, add 1 hour each day so that you add up to 8 hours on the 8th day.
- After 1 week, runners should run 1 mile longer with the orthotic devices each day (starting at 1 mile on the first day).
- It may take up to 12 weeks for a reduction in your signs and symptoms.
- Proper footwear is essential in order to properly support the orthotics.
- Consistency is key. Wear your orthotics as much as possible, even indoors.